Back to Blogs
Shutterstock 346797638
Share this Article

International Allied Health Professionals: Qualifications You Need

  • Publish Date: Posted almost 6 years ago
  • Author:by Kate Andrews

Having your certifications in place is essential in all lines of professional work. Especially healthcare.

Moreover, especially for international allied health professionals hoping to work in the US. Whether you’re an international medical technologist (MT), occupational therapist jobs (OT), or physical therapist (PT), you will need to have the right qualification for your new allied health position before you can start your allied health career journey.

Breakdown of the allied health certifications you’ll need

Indeed, getting certified in your field of healthcare is a major step in your US adventure as an international allied health professional. Simply put, without the right qualification, you won't be able to work in the US.

Here’s a quick breakdown of the three roles we mentioned earlier.

Medical Technologist (MT)

To work as an international medical technologist in the US, one of two certifications will be needed. You must have either the American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) or the American Medical Technologist (AMT) certificate.

Physical Therapist (PT)

If you’re a Physical Therapist, there’s just one certificate you’ll need to work in the US. It’s known as the Foreign Credentialing Commission on Physical Therapy (FCCPT).

Occupational Therapist (OT)

The National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy (NBCOT) is what you’ll need if you are an Occupational Therapist.

To get started, take a look at what qualifications you will need by exploring our Learning Hub and clicking on the below:

If you don't have the right qualifications, don't worry. Conexus Medstaff will be able to point you in the right direction and give you the guidance you need.