Medical Technologist Certification in the USA: What's Needed
Calling all medical technologists. If you’re looking to work as a Medical Technologist based outside the US or an international student in the US, the future looks bright.
The US Medical Technologist (MT) field is expected to grow by 13% by 2026. Other figures said the field would grow by 30% by 2020. Needless to say, the future is bright for international Medical Technologists who want to continue their career in the US.
What will it take to work as a Medical Technologist in the US?
To work in the USA as a Medical Technologist all states will require you to have one of two certifications, from either the:
- American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) or;
- American Medical Technologist (AMT).
The ASCP and the AMT allows graduates of medical laboratory science programs outside of the US to take the national certification exam. This ensures that they are competent as MT practitioners to official US standards.
To be eligible to work as a medical technologist in the US with Conexus Medstaff, we require you to have:
- Bachelor’s Degree or Higher from an accredited Medical Technologist program.
- Five (5) or more years of current medical technology work experience.
- ASCP or AMT Certification.
- US state licensure is preferred, but not required (don’t worry - we can help you with this!)
We want to hear from you
If you don’t currently meet all of the requirements above, don’t worry. We still want to hear from you. Our team of Conexus licensure experts are ready and waiting to provide the assistance you need to make your dream of working as a medical technologist in the US a reality.