Back to Blogs
Medical Technologist Certification
Share this Article

International Medical Technologist Certification to work in the U.S.

  • Publish Date: Posted almost 6 years ago
  • Author:by Kate Andrews

If you’re looking to work as a Medical Technologist based in the U.S., the future looks bright.

The U.S. Medical Technologist (MT) field is expected to grow. Reports show that by 2025 there will be a shortage of 98,700 medical technologists in the U.S.. Needless to say, the future is bright for international Medical Technologists who want to continue a career in the U.S.

What will it take to work as a Medical Technologist in the U.S.?

To work in the USA as a Medical Technologist all states will require you to have one of two certifications, from either the:

  • American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) or;

  • American Medical Technologist (AMT).

The ASCP and the AMT allows graduates of medical laboratory science programs outside of the U.S. to take the national certification exam. This ensures that they are competent as MT practitioners to official U.S. standards.

To be eligible to work as a medical technologist in the U.S. with Conexus MedStaff, you can visit our medical technologists requirements here. As an overview, to be qualified for a U.S. career as aMedical Technologist with Conexus MedStaff, you need:

    1. A Bachelors degree in Medical Laboratory Science, Medical Technology, Biological Science or Chemistry.

    2. One year of experience working as a Medical Technologist taking medical samples and performing clinical testing; resolving technical problems or conducting routine laboratory maintenance.

    3. Certification by either ASCP or AMT.

We want to hear from you

If you don’t currently meet all of the requirements above, don’t worry. We still want to hear from you. Our team of Conexus licensure experts are ready and waiting to provide guidance to work as a medical technologist in the U.S.

Apply today for medical laboratory technology careers in the U.S.