Back to Blogs
USA international nurses and medical technologists: can my spouse work on my visa?
Share this Article

Can my spouse work on my U.S. visa?

  • Publish Date: Posted 7 months ago
  • Author:by Conexus MedStaff

One of the common concerns for international healthcare professionals, such as registered nurses and medical technologists, residing in the United States on H-1B or EB-3 visas is whether their spouse is allowed to work. Having a dual income will go a long way towards creating greater financial stability as you settle into your new life, but it’s important to be on the right visa to allow your partner to legally earn an income. In this article, we explore the options available for spouses of registered nurses and medical technologists on either an H-1B or EB-3 visa in the U.S.

EB-3 visa
The EB-3 visa is an employment-based immigrant visa category that allows foreign workers to obtain permanent residency in the U.S. through employment. Spouses of EB-3 visa holders, also known as derivatives, are eligible for an immigrant visa or adjustment of status to become lawful permanent residents. This means that the spouse of an EB-3 visa holder can legally work in the U.S. without restrictions.

EB-3 visas are available for both registered nurses and medical technologists. If you plan for your spouse to relocate to the United States and start looking for employment at the same time as you, then this visa may be the better option for you as they can start work as soon as you both arrive.

H-1B visa
The H-1B visa is a non-immigrant visa that allows U.S. companies to employ foreign workers in specialty occupations. This visa category is only available for medical technologists.

H-1B visas can be obtained through a lottery, which considerably speeds up the immigration process so you can move to the U.S. more quickly, bypassing any Priority Date requirements. However, it is more complex for the spouse of a healthcare professional on an H-1B visa to find work, in comparison to spouses of healthcare professionals on an EB-3 visa.

Spouses of H-1B visa holders may be eligible for an H4 visa. To be eligible for the H4 Employment Authorization Document (EAD), the H-1B visa holder must meet specific criteria – such as the H-1B visa holder must have an approved I-140, which is an immigration petition for foreign workers seeking permanent residency.

As a medical technologist either currently working with Conexus MedStaff in the U.S. or currently in the immigration phase of your United States career journey, we may be able to provide you and your spouse with guidance on the visa application process. Please ask your Engagement Manager or Experience Coordinator for more details.

Please note that immigration laws can change, therefore it is always advisable to seek consultation or information from official government sources for the most up-to-date and accurate information regarding employment eligibility for spouses on H-1B and EB-3 visas.

You can find our analysis of the latest Visa Bulletin issued by the U.S. Department of State and other visa-related content on our blog.


Are you an international registered nurse or medical technologist looking to start a new career in the U.S.? Apply now to find out how we can help.