International Nurses In Canada: Career Pathing

It’s common for international nurses who have their sights set on pursuing a career in the US to instead opt for Canada due to the country’s immigration process being much shorter. However, this rapid mobilization doesn’t always pay off due to a lack of opportunities in Canada and other factors nurses might not have been aware of or considered. 

The great news is that once you’re in Canada, it’s a lot easier to secure work in the US. And, with nursing demand at an all-time high, there’s never been a better time to continue your journey stateside.

Conexus has extensive experience helping nurses live and work in the US, so here’s our advice on how international nurses currently settled in Canada can kick-start the process. 

So, You Moved To Canada...

When faced with shorter immigration processing time, it’s easy to see why foreign nurses opt for Canada to seek out career opportunities. However, if you originally had your sights set on the US, you don’t need to give up on your dream. In fact, you’re in a great position to move to the states from your Canadian base thanks to geographic proximity and shorter visa timelines. 

But You Want to Be in the US...

Nurses from overseas who were initially looking to work in the US, can sometimes find themselves in different roles than they expected. This is due to Canada not recognizing every international qualification and asking for foreign nurses to either repeat or undertake new ones. This can be not only frustrating, but it can set a nurse’s career back by several years and mean they may not receive the salary they would expect as an experienced practitioner. The great news is that there’s a special visa for Canadian citizens that allows for easier and faster path to the US, so you don’t need to put your career on hold for a moment longer. 

The Path Forward

Getting to the US from Canada is refreshingly straightforward. Once you’ve passed your NCLEX-RN examination and have acquired your visa screen, your temporary work visa, called the TN, will be ready in a matter of weeks. Do remember that if you completed your nursing degree in a non-English speaking location, you’d also be required to take the academic version of the IELTS exam (if your current exam hasn’t expired). 

Leading the Way

Conexus has extensive experience in mobilizing Candian nurses to live and work in the US. We sponsor the TN visa process and offer the opportunity to make your move permanent via a green card visa (EB-3).

We have contracts with more than 200 healthcare systems across 25 states, so you’ll have access to some of the most exciting opportunities in the US. We’ll also make sure you’re well looked after by creating an individual plan that covers everything from immigration and licensing right through to education and development. 

Want To Find Out More About Nursing In The US? 

Coming Soon: Our free guide “The Land of Opportunity: Why Canadian Nurses Are Relocating To The US (And How You Can Too!)”. Register your interest below to get more tips and advice on moving to the US, and find out how Conexus can help you on your journey. 

Form ID:4846


Our community