Back to Blogs
Lonely Planet 643027 Unsplash (2)
Share this Article

U.S. Board of Nursing (BON) States for NCLEX: Where to Apply?

  • Publish Date: Posted over 5 years ago
  • Author:by Kate Andrews

Before you can even apply to do your NCLEX-RN, you will need to apply with a U.S. Board of Nursing (BON). The BON you apply with will then grant your permission to register for, and take, the NCLEX-RN. Once you have passed your NCLEX-RN, along with any other requirements you need to meet, you will then receive your RN license from this state!

Each U.S State has its own Board of Nursing and each Board of Nursing has its own requirements. We advise all of our candidates to do some research to find out with BON matches them best. For example, some will require you to have more educational qualifications than others, whilst some will ask that you have a Social Security Number (SSN). The requirements of each BON can change at any time, so it is always good to be aware of what requirements you will need to meet.

We're often asked by candidates whether they will be limited to only working in the state where they applied for with the BON for their U.S. license. The simple answer is no. Here at Conexus MedStaff, if we place you in a U.S. state that is different to your license, we will endorse it to the state where you will work in the USA. It is not uncommon for a registered nurse in the USA to hold multiple licenses for different states.  

Is there any state that we recommend you avoid? 

If you haven’t decided what U.S state BON to apply with yet, we recommend that you avoid applying with states that require you to have an SSN as this will make the process longer and more complicated. At this time these states include:

  • California

  • Maryland

  • Vermont

  • Arizona

However, do not worry if you have already filed with one of these states as the team at Conexus MedStaff will work with you to overcome any problems.

So, what states are we currently recommending? 

We are currently recommending states that do not require you to have an SSN. These include: 

  • Texas

  • New York

  • Illinois

  • West Virginia

  • Montana

  • Colorado

  • Northern Mariana Islands

For any more information, or if you are still unsure about which state BON to file with, get in touch with us today. Did you know that Conexus Medstaff now sponsors the NCLEX for qualified international nurses. Our sponsorship program supports nurses in their study, preparation, travel, and testing costs to pass the NCLEX. To determine if you qualify for the NCLEX Sponsorship program, apply today.